Dermol Cream 500g
Dermol Cream is an antimicrobial and emollient (softening and moisturising) treatment for application to dry or problem skin.
It is for use in two ways:
- as a leave-on application
- as a soap-substitute.
Dermol Cream 100g helps treat and prevent dry and itchy (pruritic) skin conditions, especially eczema and dermatitis.
All age groups can use Dermol Cream, including babies.
There are two types of active ingredient in this product:
1. Benzalkonium chloride and chlorhexidine dihydrochloride are antimicrobials.
These help to:
– combat bacteria present on your skin that can make eczema worse
– prevent infection caused by scratching itchy skin.
2. Liquid paraffin and isopropyl myristate are emollients which help to:
– soften, moisturise and protect your skin by trapping moisture in the skin and restoring the normal protective function of the skin
– prevent the skin-drying and irritant effects that can be caused by washing and bathing and
by the soaps, foaming additives and fragrances used in ordinary skin cleansing products.
This product can be used in addition to any other emollients or treatments your doctor or pharmacist may have given or prescribed for you to treat your dry skin condition.
How to use
Use it only on the skin. For maximum benefit you should use it on a regular basis and as often as required.
Before using the 500 g bottle, turn the top of the pump dispenser anti-clockwise to unlock it. After unlocking, you will need to press down the pump dispenser several times to prime the pump before any product is dispensed.
The same instructions apply for all age groups:-
For use as a leave-on application:
Apply Dermol Cream to the affected areas.
Gently smooth into the skin.
If necessary, allow time for any excess to soak in. Do not rub the skin vigorously.
Reapply as often as required.
If you are applying another treatment to the same areas of skin as Dermol Cream, try to avoid mixing the two products. This can be achieved by applying the treatments alternately, leaving sufficient time to allow the previous application to soak in.
For use as a soap substitute:
Use Dermol Cream to wash with instead of your ordinary soap or shower gel. It will not foam or lather like ordinary cosmetic products.
After washing, bathing or showering, pat the skin dry with a soft towel (avoid rubbing as this can make dry skin conditions worse).
If you forget to use Dermol Cream
Do not worry if you occasionally forget to use it, just carry on using the product as described the next time you require it.
If the product gets into the eyes
The product may cause irritation if it gets into the eyes. Rinse the eyes with plenty of water. If
rinsing one eye, take care to avoid washing product into the other eye. If irritation persists, seek
Side effects & Cautions
Do not use Dermol Cream if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to benzalkonium chloride,
chlorhexidine dihydrochloride, liquid paraffin, isopropyl myristate, or any of the other ingredients
of Dermol Cream (refer to the information leaflet for a complete list)
Warnings and precautions
As with any product, severe generalised allergic reactions are possible. Very rare reports of such reactions in susceptible individuals, leading to a drop in blood pressure and even to unconsciousness, have been associated with products containing chlorhexidine.
You must not use Dermol Cream if you have had problems with chlorhexidine-containing products in the past.
Do not smoke or go near naked flames – risk of severe burns. Fabric (clothing, bedding,
dressings etc) that has been in contact with this product burns more easily and is a serious fire
Washing clothing and bedding may reduce product build-up but not totally remove it.
Take care when using this product:
• For patients with very sensitive skin, it is generally a good idea to start any new treatment on a small test area first, in case any side effect occurs (see Section 4 below). This is especially important when treating the face or young children. Thereafter, treatments may be applied more generously, as required.
• Avoid getting it in the eyes, especially when using it on the face.
• When used as a soap substitute in the bath or shower the product can make the surface slippery, so be careful to avoid slipping over when getting into and out of your shower or bath (e.g. by using a shower or bath mat).
Using other medicines
This product is not known to affect, or to be affected by, other medicines.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
This product can be used during pregnancy and whilst breast-feeding. The ingredients have been in widespread use in this and similar preparations for many years, without reports of problems. However, safety trials have not been conducted.
Dermol Cream contains cetostearyl alcohol
Cetostearyl alcohol may cause local skin reactions (e.g. contact dermatitis).
If you have previously experienced local skin reactions (e.g. contact dermatitis) to any of the ingredients, please talk to your doctor before using this product.